Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Face to Face

Lot's has happened since my last post. I've moved to a new state to follow my husband on a new career path. Anyway I'm making new friends left and right. I've joined a large woman's organization and am giving  the old face to face networking a try. I thought it would be awkward talking about my writing, but it hasn't been that bad. It was strangely... familiar. Maybe that's because  when I was single, I used to connect with guys through the books I'd read. I guess that's why I went out with a lot of sci-fi geeks. Anyway the conversation never went dry. And I've discovered parts of my stories can connect with people in a real way.
       New acquaintance: So, what do you do?
       Me: I write books. Just starting to get rejections. (usually I put in an interesting detail about the story so they ask for more.)
       New acquaintance: "My brother got a bunch of them but he just found a publisher."   You'd be surprised how many people connected to the industry. 
      I ask her a bit about her brother's book and then she asks me about mine and it's elevator pitch time.
 Needless to say I got a whole table full of people asking me questions about my current WIP.
When I talk about my novel, I let my passion show through, like I'm sharing a bit of my dreams with those around me. Cause in reality that's exactly what I'm doing.





No comments:

Post a Comment